Saturday, June 11, 2011

Summer - Full speed ahead

School officially ended today for this year. Summer days will turn into summer weeks and months. So far, our calendar is mostly empty....which is not all bad.  However, I have a habit of calendar creep....slowly filling in squares with things we need to do....or should be doing....or what has not gotten done yet.  I watch the days slip away it seems slowly, hour by hour.  But isn't that how the school year went by?

Since I unfortunately packrat too much stuff especially paper, I will sometimes find my "to do" lists of days gone by. What is most disheartening is when I find that weeks, months or even years have gone by...and the "to do" remains undone. sob.

How will this summer be any different than last summer....or the school year leading up until now? I don't know if I have an answer for that yet. I guess I'm putting it in writing to myself that if I don't change something time will fly by and another school year will be ready to start.  I really do not want to find a "to do" list with a June 2011 date and find out that it is STILL not done.

I guess for now, I will take one day or even half day or hour at a time. I will make my list shorter so that I actually can feel like I accomplished something worthwhile. I will grab those minutes of time that I will never get back with our kids. If that means something won't get checked off the list that day? So be it.

Time marches on and sometimes I feel like I'm being trampled. I can try and control some of my time so I do not feel like my time (or lack of) is controlling me. A few minutes of planning goes a long way. In the meantime, I will remember the verse about not worrying about tomorrow. I will take care of what I can do today and be happy with what I have accomplished OR happy with what I got to do instead.

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (NIV)
A Time for Everything 

1 There is a time for everything,
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:
 2 a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
   a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
   a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up,
   a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate,
   a time for war and a time for peace.

No comments: