Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Journaling the journey

It is something I really wish I would have started earlier. Thankfully, I have a mom that saved things for me. Every once in awhile, I get a bag of goodies. I had a bag of paperwork from 3rd grade....when one of our kids was in 3rd grade so it was fun to compare. I have found some things that I wrote down, but it wasn't "officially" a diary or journal. Some of my "Young Author" books. Definitely not award winners by any means (for writing OR illustrating) BUT it gives me a good look at what life was like at least at that point in time.

Recently, my husband asked me how old one (hahahaha, if you know our family, you know why I laugh) of our cats is. I trekked back through some of my journal books and could give him a pretty good guess. I also discovered how many kittens did NOT stay at our house. Hard to tell though if you visit.

I started to look at one of the books I did with the kids. Our son was 5 the first time we wrote in it. He had told me a story from the bus about Chuck E Cheese. I wrote it down. There is a ticket stub from the White Caps....from 1998. There is a picture and corresponding story of the day our daughter snuck out at my sister's house, went through the sprinkler and came back around and knocked on the garage door. She looked slightly drippy and guilty when we opened the door. Our son is now 21. Our daughter is 17. Time flies!

Oh, the smiles, tears and memories that are held in those journals. I never really intended them to become what they have. A record of our family. Of our journey. Of the joys and pains as we have moved through life together.

The little things that our kids did that I swore I would never forget. I am reminded of them as I read back through the pages. Sometimes there are gaps of time not covered or covered in 2 different journals because I would grab whatever one I could find. Some of the things are truly little things that would not or will not mean anything to anyone else other than me. Some of them are prayers. Some written in desperation as I did not know any other way to get out the pain that was in my heart. Sometimes it is difficult to go back and read through as I realize things I wish would have changed years ago....are still the same.

Lately, things seem to go more on Facebook or blogs. However, there is something beautiful in seeing something in writing in pen or pencil.

I write this to encourage you to find a book to write in, even if it is "just" a notebook. Find a place to keep it handy. Even if you don't like to write. Maybe doodle! Let your kids doodle or tell you a story and you write it down. Jot down those things that you think you will never forget because you will forget.....even if it is something you or your kid did often! Write the date on the page somewhere.

Our journey will end someday. New journeys are beginning everyday. It is in looking back that we realize the destination is not the goal. Focus on the journey. Just don't get so busy journaling about it that you forget to live it! Journal and journey on, my friends!

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Exodus 33:14 (MSG) God said, “My presence will go with you. I’ll see the journey to the end.”

No comments: