Thursday, October 01, 2009

Lions' Den? Same God. Provided and Protected.

We have had some ongoing issues and frustrations. Last night and this AM things have kind of bubbled over and started to taint the rest of life. Ugh. We need to make some really difficult decisions that will not just affect us.

Recently, I had written in my journal that I was trying to handle things on my own again and not including God in our decisions.

Usually, when I eat breakfast I read through the local paper, a magazine or a novel. This AM I got the feeling I should read THE Book. So I got out my favorite Bible. I know that it is not a good idea to just flip open the Bible and read where you land. There's wisdom in Proverbs and comfort in the Psalms. I've been reading in Genesis. So I could have started in any of those places. BUT, I stuck my finger in and looked where it landed.

Daniel 6.....Daniel and the Lions' Den. A pretty well known story, but a quick recap. Some of the people serving with Daniel get jealous because he seems to be getting special treatment. The king likes him. Daniel follows God. The jealous folks get the king to pass a law that can not be repealed. For 30 days people can only pray to the king....or be thrown into the lions' den. Daniel is found, as usual, during one of his daily 3 times of prayer thanking God and asking for his help. The king tries everything, but the law stands. Daniel is thrown to the lions. The king does not sleep and goes to the lions' den early the next day. He calls out to Daniel....who replies! The people who framed Daniel (and their families) are thrown into the pit and the lions did what lions do. The king then orders everyone to follow Daniel's God.

Good story, but the VERY cool part is what else I found. I had read through this passage before and highlighted the following verses:

Daniel 6:26&27 (NIV)

26 "I issue a decree that in every part of my kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of Daniel.
"For he is the living God
and he endures forever;
his kingdom will not be destroyed,
his dominion will never end.

27 He rescues and he saves;
he performs signs and wonders
in the heavens and on the earth.
He has rescued Daniel
from the power of the lions."


Part of the reason I love The Journey Bible I have is the boxes of info along the side. The one for this section? The God Who Is There. Summarized, it stated: This story is one of the most popular and well known and provides another example of God's provision and protection. It shows that God can rescue those who seek him in prayer, no matter how hopeless life appears. And then: "Did you turn to the pages of this book because of some painful or desperate personal situation? If so, realize that the same God who rescued Daniel is ready to work in you as well. He can enter your experience despite the adverse circumstances in your life-you are not beyond his reach. All you need to do is turn to God, trusting that he will never abandon you once you've placed your life in his hands."


The God that was with Daniel in the lions' den is available to us. How frustrating it must be for God (the ultimate father) to know that he can assist us, but we won't ask him for his help. I'm going to do better, how about you?


Hearing, but no longer fearing, the roars.




No comments: