Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Are you in the ARK ?......or the Dinghy?

Ever feel like one of those punching bag toys with the weighted bottom? You get punched by whatever circumstance is going against you, and that silly faced thing pops back up. Then you get smacked a few more times and the air goes out a little....and you don't pop back up as quickly. You're proud of yourself for making it back up, but life stands there and down you go again. You whine a little, but make it back up. Then you look around and see what other people are going through and you figure out you need to quit whining.

I have figured out that when I feel like this the most, it is the times I am counting on me to pull me back up instead of depending on God to protect me from life's blows.

I have not been very successful at balancing my life and responsibilities. I read a book that freed up my thinking by suggesting we seek buoyancy instead of balance.

A definition of buoyancy: the ability to recover quickly from depression or discouragement

There are 2 ways to stay buoyant and float above the turmoil.

One is the ark where we are promised and provided safety by God. It's a large, stable vessel that will help keep us from tumbling through the choppy life waters that we face. It's roomy so we can invite others to ride along with us.

The other is the dinghy that follows behind the ark. It is still attached to the larger, safer boat, however it does not provide much protection from the wind and waves or whatever else comes along. It's smaller and there is not enough room for others to join you...so you go it mainly alone.

Where are YOU riding these days? I know where I WANT to be, but I know I've been trying to do it on my own. Riding in the ark is a privilege, but there is always an open invitation to get back on board.

Genesis 7:1 (NIV) The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.

Praying that you find your ark, get in, realize you are not alone and prepare to float. Ahhhhh.......

No comments: