Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Spiritual Thermostat

Not sure about where you live, but our furnace is sure getting a work out.  Thankfully, we have a programmable thermostat that has helped reduce costs by automatically dialing back at night when we're all in blankets.

Winter always brings up numerous emotional issues around our house.  Lack of sunlight, Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.)....call it whatever you like, but it is not fun.  I've seriously considered purchasing light boxes (happy lights).

I ran across this recently after I read a blog post:  12 Ways to Help Kids Manage Anger

This is good for anybody, not just kids.  I especially noticed  #12 guarding the "emotional setting of your home" I never really thought of it that way and the phrasing really hit me.  There are days I'm not so great at my own emotional setting let alone the rest of my home.  It really is something that needs to be protected.  However, I have noticed that on the days I can stay relatively calm through the storm?  The issues do not seem as bad.

Per Webster: Thermostat: an automatic device for regulating temperature; also : a similar device for actuating fire alarms or for controlling automatic sprinklers 

The "emotional setting" made me think of a thermostat.  Oh if it were only that easy to just program/regulate "easy going, laid-back, cool" into all of us.  But we're family.  We each have our own thermostat...and it is not usually on the same setting as the other family member.  The days one of us starts heading into the red heated or fire alarm zone?  If we don't watch it, we all end up there. 

Part of the battle is catching what forms in our mind...and not letting it pour out of our mouth.  Our internal thermostats might not be automatic, but with Spiritual help we can program them to run more efficiently and keep the emotional costs to ourselves and others more reasonable.

Romans 8:5-6 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. 6 So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.

No comments: