Friday, June 03, 2011

Take Time (THANKS mom and dad)

Tonight I was reminded that I have known some people for 40+ years and I still learn interesting tidbits about their life.....when I take time to listen....and ask....and talk.

Tonight my dad went with me to a funeral home for a visitation for my cousin. He didn't have to go with me...or wait the extra hour it took for me to finish up some stuff before we went.  He doesn't HAVE to do a lot of things.  But he does.  For me, my family now, my family growing up and a lot of other people.  He and my mom have done a lot of "behind the scenes" work over the years. They have taught us well to help and volunteer whenever possible - even when it is inconvenient or time consuming or not noticed by most people.

Tonight we had at least 1/2 hour each way to drive (with him riding...usually he ALWAYS drives!) and talk. We got talking about Alaska and his time in the service. I thought he had been there only months. He was there 3 years. He was there when he got a call his mom had died. He went back there afterward.  That all happened in his life before marriage and kids.

Sometimes we forget our parents had lives before us. Sometimes our kids forget we had lives before they came into the picture. 

Driving home seeing the reflectors on the side of the road reminded me of the times my mom would come over in the dark early AM to watch our son when he was little.  That time back at work went much easier knowing I had somebody I loved and trusted taking care of him if I couldn't be there.

Now that I've helped with my brother and sis-in-law's triplets (nephews and niece) I realize how much I missed. BUT now I get to take time with them and make new memories too.

I guess I just needed a reminder that I need to take time now to spend time with those I love. Honestly, is reality TV better than the people in your reality? (OK, maybe sometimes....at least you don't have to live with those people!) Everybody has a story. Take time to listen.

Ephesians 6:1 (NIV) Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”

Luke 2:45-46 (NIV) 45 When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.

No comments: