Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Flags - A 9/11 Memorial....10 years later


“A song of ascents. I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2 NIV

I have a tendency to remove myself from things that make me uncomfortable. On September 11, 2001, I was at work. I heard some of the AM news. I called my husband and he watched on TV and later told me more. Co-workers went to watch the TV to see what was going on. I stayed at my desk. The events sounded bad, I couldn't make myself watch....and I worked. Even later on in the night, I only halfheartedly paid attention to what was going on. Even the little bit I saw overwhelmed me with sadness. I saw church attendance and blood donations go up. I saw people being more kind and considerate to each other. It did feel like the world was ending and where would we go from here?

Then....days, weeks, months and years passed. Every September 11, more flags would appear. Patriotism would surge and then, it seemed, back to normal.

Now...it's been 10 years. When all the attention came up for the 10th Anniversary, I was not sure what I would feel. I'm proud to be an American, I know that for sure. September 10, 2011: I heard about The Flags that would be at Canonsburg Ski Area over the 9/11/11 weekend. I was going to be out that way anyway so kind of as a last minute thing I stopped by there with my 3 nephews. I found out it was called "The Healing Field". There was a large flag on a crane at the entrance. Then we saw the hill and I heard gasps and "That's a lot of flags!" from the back seat.

We went to the hill and they took off racing up. I wanted to tell them to calm down because it was a memorial. However, they're young and they were excited. I admired the precision of the rows. There is a tag attached to each flag portraying the age, location where attacked and a brief story of each person that died that day on September 11, 2001. My nephews weren't even born then.

We walked up the hill, past the flags and looked back down. I took their picture in front of some of the flags. One nephew grabbed my hand as we walked back down. I showed him some of the tags. He started telling me some of the ages. I choked back a tear and said a prayer for the people and families represented by each flag. As we neared the bottom, he told me thank you for bringing him there and for spending the day with him....and "I love you".

It took a field of flags and a 7 year old to remind me that avoiding what is uncomfortable allows evil to win. Enjoying each moment we're given and saying I Love You is HOPE for a better tomorrow.

God bless America!
¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸ ...¸.¤\
\ 9/11 AMERICA \
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤ .¸¸.¸.¤*
..\
☻/
/▌
/ \ UNITED WE STAND . . . NEVER FORGET !  (Not sure who made this, but quite awesome)
The flags come down Tuesday AM. There is no cost. Donations are accepted. If you have time, it is definitely worth going. Some more info from GR Press and MLive (their pics are better!)  The Healing Field

No comments: