Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Thorn (s) ....

I knew time was flying by, but it's been over a month since I posted here! We've been enjoying the summer and dealing with weather in all it's glory....good and bad. During the last big storm, our power went out for a few days. I forget how thankful I need to be when I flip a switch and the light goes on! :)

I've also been going to therapy for my neck issue. This has taken more time than I thought it would. I am blessed that the therapy place is close by my work. Therapy so far has not helped as much as it was hoped (in my opinion). I have a dr. appt. on Friday to see where we go from here....which brings me to my topic of thorn(s).

I have struggled for a long time with the issue of healing. If God CAN heal any of us at any time, how come He doesn't? How come there are still people dealing with chronic pain, diabetes, MS, cancer, ADHD, etc? I have heard people say that while they've fought the battle they have learned lessons they would not have learned any other way.

I got to thinking about Paul in the Bible. He was a very Godly person (after a round about conversion!). He talks about a "thorn" that he asked to be removed. Not just once, but three times.

2 Corinthians 12 : 7-10 7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I don't pretend to know what Paul's thorn was or why it was given to him. I haven't read further to see if it is taken care of and removed. However, I really like verses 9 and 10. God wasn't away from him. God reminded Paul of his grace and his power. Maybe half of the "fix" is realizing that whatever thorns we deal with, we are not dealing with them alone.

For myself, pain and my realization that I can't control everything that happens to me has made me rely on God more than I have been. I had been drifting again....not taking time to BE with God through reading the Bible, prayer, worship, etc. And I have also realized that God's way of removing the thorn may not be my ideal solution. Sometimes we are provided with doctors and/or medicines that become part of the solution.

I don't know if I will ever be able to say I "delight" in the thorns, but I will do my best to remember that when I am weak, then I am strong because I'm not leaning on my own power. I hope and pray the same for you whatever thorns you're dealing with now.

Once we get past the thorns, we'll enjoy the rose! ;)

No comments: