Thursday, October 02, 2008

Fighting fear with PEACE

“Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.”- Proverbs 29:25 (NIV)

Let's admit it....especially lately, there are a lot of things that can drag our fears out into the open. Wall Street, stock market, election (the end of political ads, YEAH!), other countries, etc. AND that's just the stuff that affects everybody....not even the stuff that affects our own personal lives and family.

The verse above states what trips us up: fear of man. All the things listed are "us" created they are not from God.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."John 16:33 (NIV)

God knew we would have troubles and fears here. However, he sent Jesus so we could regain peace. He has overcome death AND the world. So where do you want your focus?

We can fight and struggle on our own, or accept the peace God offers. Then even when the troubles of this world seem overwhelming and our emotions are getting the best of us, there is still peace to fall back on.

Philippians 4:6-8 (NIV)
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


What a great picture, God's peace TRANSCENDS (/www.webster.com: to rise above or go beyond the limits of b: to triumph over the negative or restrictive aspects of : overcome, c: to be prior to, beyond, and above limits) our anxiousness. Just ask.

We heard a sermon on peace Sunday. I was reminded of a song from Sunday School (another verse of Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy, Down in my Heart)

I have the peace that passes understanding down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart
I have the peace that passes understanding down in my heart,
Down in my heart to stay.

Chorus:
And I'm so happy, so very happy,
I've got the love of Jesus in my heart!
(repeat)

Look beyond your own understanding. God stands with arms open wide to welcome us back to fear-free living. Take Him up on it! :)

No comments: