Friday, September 11, 2009

Seeking refuge

Hebrews 6:17 - 19 17 God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. 18 So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. 19 This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God’s inner sanctuary. (NLT)


I have struggled for a few days now knowing I had something to write, but not knowing where to start. I am very good at avoiding. I know time is going by fast, but the last few weeks it has really hit me. The end of summer, back to school for the kids, the leaves are changing colors and don't seem like they've even been ON the trees that long. One day of the week is here, blink, and the same day, next week. Ugh. If you've seen the movie, Click with Adam Sandler, that's what it feels like. Only I'm not wanting to skip through life faster. I've found lots of time to read other books, but have not been opening my Bible.


Found some of my answer today online in the above verses (JQ's positive words to live by was verse 18...then I checked out the other verses). I just went back and read all of Hebrews 6 ( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+6&version=NLT) Wow! Part of what I've been struggling with is the way the world seems to be heading in the wrong direction.
I know better....but sometimes I forget.


I especially picked up on the words refuge and hope. I'm thinking refuge in the Bible from what I remember was found in a cave. Not the best place in my mind to go and get in a better mood. I look up the word refuge on Webster. It is based on the words to escape, to flee. As a noun, it is shelter or protection from danger or distress. In the above verses, "we who have fled to him for refuge." Where have I been fleeing to? My cave of emotions where things can seem darker than they really are. Time to remember to seek a new source of refuge and hope. Refuge can be fleeing to something, not necessarily somewhere we stay.


Another verse (115) that mentions refuge and hope.


Psalm 119:113-115 113 I hate those with divided loyalties, but I love your instructions. 114 You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my source of hope. 115 Get out of my life, you evil-minded people, for I intend to obey the commands of my God. (NLT)


May we receive strength to take on another day and enjoy! May it not take a huge crisis (Sept. 11) to get us to remember our need for God. Churches were filled those few days after that day. 8 years later are we back to where we were before? Refuge in this world is not even close to the refuge we can have.

No comments: