Friday, September 18, 2009

Who moved?

I recall a sermon WAAAYYY back where the pastor recalled that one time his wife expressed her disappointment that they no longer sat close together in the front seat when in the car. He was the driver. So he asked her, "who moved?"

Ah ha! Good point. He's the driver. His seat is not going to change. It was her choice to stay in her own seat or slide over to the middle, sit a little closer and get the closeness she desired.

Lately, I have let myself be TOO busy with a lot of stuff that really (in the overall scheme of life) does not matter. My times of devotions become maybe reading an online devotional during the day, but definitely not the Bible reading that really helps. My times of prayer become when I am at my limit of patience and uttered quickly in desperation for a specific situation. Then I am surprised when God does not seem as close.

If God is in the proper perspective in my life, he's the driver. HE didn't move. So, time to move closer to the middle for the closeness I desire. I become amazed how I am welcomed back like I never left. Sometimes my eyes are open, but I don't see. I see more of God in everyday life, when I take the time to look.

If, like me, there are days when God seems far away, ask yourself, "who moved?"

1 Corinthians 15: 57-58 (NIV) 57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

No comments: