Monday, December 14, 2009

The B.I.B.L.E. Instructions

Exodus 16:28 (NLT) The Lord asked Moses, “How long will these people refuse to obey my commands and instructions?

Tonight, I was programming a cell phone (which is about as difficult...and as much fun....as programming VCRs, etc). I was sitting at the table and putting in phone numbers. I made a mistake and could not figure out how to delete the number. The first few times I hit delete the contact and started over. Finally, I was getting frustrated.

Then, I glanced up and there sat the instruction book. I am usually the first one to try and read instructions if I can't figure it out within a reasonable time. Tonight it didn't even cross my mind until I saw it right in front of me.

It really was something very simple to correct. Just needed to hit the correct button to backspace. I wasted time, however, trying to figure the phone out without reviewing the instructions first.

I got to thinking how much this is like the Bible. God's instructions to us....in written form....usually not to far away from any seat in the house. How many times have I floundered in a situation when part of the answer is right at my fingertips? I already know the answer. More than necessary and more then I would like.

I once heard the Bible referred to as Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. How much easier life would be if I remember THAT first instead of much later when I've made more mistakes and wasted more time than I can count.

So, where's your instruction manual? Find your Bible, ask God for guidance for what and where He wants you to read. Those instructions are timeless.

John 1:1-3 (NLT)1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

No comments: