Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pentecost Sunday - Holy Spirit

Act 2 (NIV) 1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them...........12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?" 13Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine."

Reminded that today was Pentecost Sunday (7th Sunday after Easter - had to look it up). I read through the above verses...and the rest of chapter. LOVE www.biblegateway.com I find it interesting that some were amazed...and perplexed.....some questioned....and some made fun.

Personally? I think I'm in the amazed and perplexed and the questioning groups. Even as I gain a better understanding of God's plan by reading the Bible, I still frequently question how it is all going to work out. However, I frequently find that when I honestly question and wait for an answer. I do get one. I have to be willing to have my logical (smile?!?!?) thinking shook up. Does this mean all my questions are answered? Hardly!

I love mysteries anyway. It seems like I get clues revealed as I need them to continue on my journey. I get just enough info to move to the next place God wants me.

The people's reactions sound similar to today. It is really easy to feel safe, secure and blessed....in our homes, churches and with fellow believers. However, are you prepared for the people who question and/or make fun of you for being a Christian....or maybe even "un-friend" you from Facebook because of what you believe?

Praying for a revival of the Holy Spirit. Even if it makes people around us think we're a little weird.

No comments: