Monday, June 07, 2010

Free Donut Day – Freedom, a free gift?

Recently it was “Free Donut Day”. You could go to your local donut shop and get a free donut…sometimes with a drink purchase, but still a good deal. Facebook and the internet were abuzz with the declaration of said donut day. We do like our freebie deals, don’t we? Sometimes companies have to shut down their offers when the word gets spread around almost instantly in cyberspace and they are inundated with freebie seekers.

Fast forward to Sunday. I’m sitting in church and we’re singing and praising God. The free gift of salvation is mentioned. I get rather sad quickly, because I realize that there are people missing out. I am very quick to share freebies or good deals I find online and in the store. I am rather disappointed with myself as I realize I am much more willing to pass on info regarding temporary good deals instead of the most freeing gift I’ve found.


I was raised going to church – sometimes twice on Sunday. (THANKS mom and dad!) I’ve known God loves me from little on. I know where I’ll go when I die. It is not based on how good I am…..or not. There is great freedom in that. I have great respect for people who become Christians as an adult. By then, we are jaded. We’ve been hurt. We’ve hurt others. I have a lot of respect for those who are good at helping people find their way to God and helping God find them by praying for family and friends.


Why am I not more willing/able to pass on the good news that knowing Jesus can bring?


Maybe a donut is a good example of salvation. There’s a hole in most donuts. There’s a hole in us God wants to fill. If you are not a Christian, are you willing to take that first step in asking God to reveal Himself to you? Are you willing to talk to a trusted friend about your questions? Are you willing to get a Bible and not be afraid to open it and read some? Are you willing to seek freedom?


Isaiah 61 The Year of the LORD's Favor

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

No comments: