Monday, January 17, 2011

Separation Anxiety

Romans 8:35 (NLT) Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?  
 
I am not writing this to list off all our troubles and calamities.  In the whole scheme of life and all that COULD happen, this week's issues are minor speed bumps.  Placed in the way to slow us down.  To pay more attention?  To distract us from where we need to get to? I'm not quite sure at this point.  I am writing this so that in a few weeks when we have made it through this, I will be reminded (yet again) of where my real help comes from. 

So, in no particular order: broken toe (seems like no big deal until you realize how much weight is placed on this toe and the balancing it assists with); unexpected job change; rentals, renters and ongoing financial stuff; a broken down van - tow truck and the unexpected time it took up; school/kid issues...and the list could probably go on, but these are the biggies.

I was doing pretty well (or so I thought) until said van incident made me slow down (as if the toe wasn't enough, H.E.L.L.O!) and realize my anxiety has been rising.  I have let other stuff get in the way of taking time to read the Bible and pray and praise and worship....and, and, and. I have separated myself from my main source of help in times of trouble and distress!

When those troubles come, I have a choice to make.  I can move closer to....or further from....God.   

Psalm 107:6 (NLT) “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress. (4 times in Psalm 107)

Rescue can come in all forms.  The bedspread I had in the van to take to a commercial laundry kept me warm while I waited for the tow truck.  Time to sing praise songs as I waited.  The cane my son had bought as a joke quite awhile ago has been handy for keeping balance through the snow and ice. 

Psalm 107:43 (NLT) Those who are wise will take all this to heart; they will see in our history the faithful love of the Lord.

God's love is faithful. I'm the one who moves further away and separation anxiety kicks in.  Sometimes those speed bumps help us get turned around to where we need to be.  Victory is ours.  Claim it. Own it. Feel the love. Kick anxiety to the curb. 

Romans 8:37 (NLT) No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

No comments: