Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Becoming Hardboiled

I readily admit that I am not a good cook.  Sure, I can make the general easy stuff (most days) and I LOVE the George Foreman grill.....but I digress.  I love eggs by themselves or in other dishes.  The following should be read like Bubba from Forest Gump when talking about shrimp. 

poached, fried, scrambled, sunny side up, quiche, egg salad, deviled (could use a better name, but oh so tasty), boiled.....

Ahhh boiled.  Not that long ago I wanted hard boiled eggs.  Maybe it was awhile ago because I didn't "Google" it.  I actually looked it up in Cooking For Dummies how long to boil.  BUT there must be other people who don't know or why would they have it in there?  (no need to answer, smile)

I started thinking about eggs because lately I've felt like one.  Fragile on the outside and ready to crack anytime and who wants to deal with that oozy mess?  However, I've come to realize though that not all eggs are as fragile as they appear.

** Eggs are usually sold in quantities.  Not just one.  They are usually nestled in their little egg carton cocoons with at least 11 other little eggs.
LESSON:  Surround yourself with other good eggs. 


** Eggs are adaptable.  They can stand alone or easily blend into recipes (think cake, yum). 
LESSON:  Learn to adapt to the situation around you.  It might not be pleasant, but it might help make you into something better than you are by yourself.

** Eggs are permeable.  Things can pass through the egg shell.  My daughter did a science experiment with an egg in vinegar (the shell came off, but yolk was still in the rubberized result) and then various substances. Food color changed the color of the egg!
LESSON:  Even if your shell comes off, you can still hold it together if soaked in the right substance.

** Hard boiled eggs only become hard boiled after being placed in boiling hot water.  When done, they look pretty much the same on the outside, but something has changed on the inside.  The shell still may crack easily, but the oozy mess is gone. Instead is a firm egg ready for whatever comes next.
LESSON:  The egg doesn't get to say what it wants to become or how it is going to be accomplished.  It's up to the cook.

Do you feel like you are in hot water right now?  The temperature steadily rising?  You are stronger than you look.  Even if your shell breaks or becomes slightly cracked, YOU may be on your way to being made into something you were not even aware was possible.  Eggsactly my point.
  
John 16:33 (NIV) “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (NIV)
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

No comments: