Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bye, bye Bionicles......

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.   1 Corinthians 13:11

I knew the day would come, but I wasn't ready for it to be now.  I didn't know it would bother me so much.  I've heard other mothers recall how they moved toward this period of time in their own child's life.  I wasn't prepared to feel sad and happy all at the same time or for the same reason.  Our kids are growing up....and eventually moving on.

The sign that I've noticed most recently is toys they used to LOVE to play with are starting to be stored or sold or given away. As video games became more popular, the toys our kids played with stayed put away longer and longer.  Usually, however, their most favorite were left displayed somewhere in their room.  The Bionicles (Lego robot looking things) our son wanted so badly and collected when he was younger were recently removed from his shelf and put in a box.  I think what made me notice the most is he didn't seem sad about it....just another day.  I don't know if he realized how symbolic it is.

For me, it symbolized him putting away the toys from his childhood to make room for the things that make him seem so much more grown up.  Laptops, X-box, Wii, etc.  Maybe I should have been more surprised that it took him this long to want to make more room for the things he now likes to do.

I think part of what I miss is the creative play.  It seems the newest video games, TV shows, etc. don't encourage us to think on our own.  The solution is usually presented within the time limit.  It does not usually require our input.  It just resolves itself between the commercials and by the end?  The answer.  Bionicles required plans and putting the pieces together in the right way...or ignoring the directions, putting a whole bunch of kits together and seeing what emerged.  They were hands on like life should be.

I find it interesting that this verse is in the same chapter referred to as the "Love Chapter" and used in so many weddings.  It makes sense that references to growing up should follow.  Our son will continue to grow up whether I am ready for it or not.  Guess I should prepare myself because I know more of these moments are to come.  So for now, bye bye Bionicles.

As time continues to rocket forward at a speed I can no longer comprehend, I miss the little boy he was (and sometimes still is in my mind).  I admire the young man he is becoming.  I look forward to meeting the man he will be.

No comments: