Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Teenage Butterfly


Teenage Butterfly
Wrapped in a cocoon of childhood
Life is about to change
Parts begin to rearrange
Life is weird – all so strange
All this changing seems so slow
One wing breaks free
And then there’s two
Need to stay, but want to go
Beauty unfolds
And takes flight

1 Timothy 4:12 (NIV) Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

(The Message) And don't let anyone put you down because you're young. Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity.

There's a song that says breaking up is hard to do.....growing up is hard too. I am coming to grips with the fact that I as a parent have to change along with my kids as they grow up. I thought I was done "growing up". However, the more I think about it....I'm not sure any of us is ever done. Different stages maybe, but each one involves growth and growing. I think that's why I started thinking about butterflies....and teenagers. Males and  females go through SO many changes those teen years. It really is a metamorphosis. 

As parents, we are blessed to be able to accompany our kids on this journey. As our kids strive for their independence there will be friction. There will be days you will wish they would stay in their cocoon - safe in your house where you feel you can protect them. There will be days you will watch them struggle to break free. There will be days when you will see those wings...knowing what is to come. There will be a day when you will see them soar.....there may be tears, but you will smile.  

No comments: