Saturday, November 12, 2011

Bible Flipper

I realize that there are reading plans to read through the Bible. Some are set up for a year and take a passage from the old and new testament along with something from the Psalms and/or Proverbs. By the end of the year? If you stay on track, you've read through the entire Bible.

Usually, these plans do not include just opening the Bible and reading whatever your eye lands on. I have to admit to being a Bible flipper. It does not ALWAYS seem applicable. However, there have been many times when I have done this and I am amazed how often it is something that applies to what I'm going through. Sometimes, when I remember, I prayerfully ask God before I flip to show me what I need to see.

Recently, on one of my nights/mornings? of getting in bed w....a....y too late.....again, I flipped open the Bible. My eye landed on Psalm 127 (NIV):

 1 Unless the LORD builds the house,
   the builders labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
   the guards stand watch in vain.
2 In vain you rise early
   and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
   for he grants sleep to those he loves.


The Journey Bible I read also had some additional information about these verses. It mentioned specifically starting a business and writing a book. I have considered both of these very recently. On times like this, I am reminded that the Bible is one of God's ways of communicating with us.


The Bible is a big book and it seems overwhelming. Sometimes we make excuses. "I don't have time to read the Bible", "I don't know where to start", "The Bible doesn't go in order and gets so confusing", etc.

Personally, I'm sure I've used one or more of those excuses. However, I've noticed I found time to read a novel (or 3 or 4!)  by my favorite author. Some probably have more pages than the Bible....but I found time for those...

I'm not encouraging anyone to just flip open the Bible and start reading. I just want to remind you to open your Bible. Currently, we have the freedom and resources to own at least one Bible....maybe several. When was the last time you opened yours?

No comments: