Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Playing with words.... Evolve? Adapt?

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase (Heard this on an episode of Criminal Minds...I rather like it)
One of the benefits(?) of a Yahoo homepage is that one can read all sorts of interesting "news" and stories. It is possible to become totally lost amongst clicks on different stories...and then realize an hour has passed. ugh.

One of the "headline" stories recently involved a "hybrid shark" (http://news.yahoo.com/world-first-hybrid-shark-found-off-australia-070347608.html) Not that I think it is worthy of reading, just listing my source and my thought process (always scary territory!)

This article used the words "adapt", "evolution in action", and "survival of the fittest". I have always struggled with the evolution theory. Mainly because it seems to contradict the Bible. When our son was younger, I was pleased that his teacher had evolution on her list of report topics. I was also pleased that he chose this topic to discuss. However, the further he dug into info, the more I could see how people might get confused when presented with all of these "facts".

I like to find out the meanings of words. I looked up "adaptation" and "evolution" at http://www.merriam-webster.com/ (A GREAT resource)  Here's what I found:

Adaptation : adjustment to environmental conditions: as a : adjustment of a sense organ to the intensity or quality of stimulation b : modification of an organism or its parts that makes it more fit for existence under the conditions of its environment

Evolution: a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations

 a process in which the whole universe is a progression of interrelated phenomena

I find it interesting that even the definition of evolution includes the phrase "preexisting types" and "interrelated phenomena". This would seem to indicate that there needs to be SOMETHING there to make another something. It seems that more can be explained by adaptation of species rather than evolution.

It seems like we play with words. I don't have all the answers. I do have a few questions though that have been brought up along life's journey that have at least made me pause and go hmmmmm. Here are a couple.

If humans "evolved" from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Who took care of the first human?

What came first the chicken or the egg? 

If you can think of others, I would love to hear your thoughts/comments.

It seems that life started in motion. I do know that I can't explain many of the functions of the human body, but if we didn't have them, we wouldn't survive. I am amazed at the sheer number of species of many animals, insects, birds, fish, etc.  I am in awe of the variety of personalities of people in general, let alone those in my own family. I am touched by the compassion that people can show to complete strangers. I am moved to tears sometimes by hearing what others have gone through. 

I don't even pretend to have all the answers to the questions of life. So, in the meantime, I play with words and hopefully give you something to think about too.  ;)

Genesis 2:1 (NIV) Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

No comments: