Thursday, May 03, 2012

D. O. T. - D. O. N. T.

I believe I have already admitted to being a procrastinator. If not, I am a procrastinator with a capital P. Recently, I found myself matching socks. A somewhat worthy job.....BUT not as much as getting our taxes done! :(  When overwhelmed, I can find ALL kinds of busy work.....and accomplish little.

I make "to-do" lists that have way too many items on for one day and then feel bummed I didn't get them all done. I very rarely ever feel like I have a "done" list.

So, today it hit me. I am looking at too much of the big picture. Normally, a good thing....but when faced with getting little to nothing done? Not so good. I get so overwhelmed and frustrated when I look at ALL I need to get done....or should be doing....I freeze up. Time flies. I watch TV/play on the computer. Time for bed (actually WAAAAYYY past time for bed).

I think I have a solution, I hope. I'm going to start trying D.O.T. Do One Thing. I'm going to do the most immediately needed "to do" thing first. If it is a BIG project, that takes all day to complete....so be it. I'll still make a "to-do" (or in my case "doo-doo" list) so I don't forget the overall things that need to get done. I drive myself nuts otherwise trying to remember what I wanted to accomplish. BUT I only need to pick ONE THING from that list.....and then:

D.O.N.T. Do One Next Thing, repeat the cycle....over and over until I am feeling at least a bit more caught up.

If you are also a procrastinator princess or prince, take heart:

Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

No comments: