Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Trust Fall

Recently, I watched my nephews. It's been awhile, but I love checking in with them and seeing what they like now and playing games, etc. As our own kids get older, I miss those younger years....when they wanted to spend time with me!  ;)

As one of them was getting ready for bed, he turned around and said, "Do you know what a trust fall is?" I told him I did, and he quickly turned back, put his arms across his chest and promptly fell backwards so I could catch him. I have seen these done in groups. I'm glad he wasn't much bigger, I would have hated to drop him! Oops, there goes that trust!

Trust is such a valued thing and can be so easily lost.

The more I thought about it, I don't physically do trust falls often. However, intellectually and mentally, I have trust falls everyday! Sometimes (I'm getting better, kinda) I'm the faller trusting that the other person will catch me and my intentions. Usually though, I find myself being the catcher....and that's OK. I am glad that I have people in my life who trust me enough to be willing to share their journey.

Whether you are a catcher or you need to fall a bit, I pray that you have people in your life that you can trust enough to be there for you when you need them to be.

Always remember too that God is the most trusted catcher ever. When there are things that you don't think anyone else could possibly understand or it's way too late to phone even your closest friend, God's there waiting for us to trust Him enough to let Him catch us.

Psalm 9:9-10 (NIV) The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. 

Psalm 56:3-4 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?

No comments: