Saturday, July 07, 2012

Kiss it!

Tonight I was reminded of the power of a kiss. Not a romantic kiss. The kind of kiss that can heal the hurt and (non-bloody!) boo-boos. I was also reminded that over time the power of the kiss can wear off.

There was a young girl on America's Funniest Videos that fell off her bike on her derriere....and with a big smile on her face asked her daddy if he wanted to kiss it. Gotta love kids when they are discovering their humor! :)

When kids are younger, it is so easy....and they are so eager....to just stop what they're doing, let us "kiss it" or "tiss it" (depending on the kid!), and make it "all better". It's enough. And playtime continues.

Fast forward a few years and kids start to realize a kiss doesn't really fix it. It's just a distraction to keep them from focusing on the hurt. (Ouchie and boo-boo no longer apply)

Fast forward a few more years and the kid is a teen and barely wants you to hug them let alone tell you what the problem is! The power of the healing kiss is gone. As a parent, I miss that.

As a mom, it's hard to come to the realization that there are things I can't fix. Things I shouldn't fix. Things my kids will have to live through the hurt, deal with it and go on. I have to trust that I have given them a strong enough foundation to fall back on when life knocks the wind out of them. I can still be there....to listen, to encourage and to help deal with the hurts.

The look of the kiss may change, but the intent is the same.

The Parable of the Lost Son
Luke 15:20 (NIV) “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

No comments: