Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Breath of Fresh.....Prayer

We have too many cats (one less as of last Sat. R.I.P. Mouse) and a horse. Usually, at least once a day, somebody tracks in something that shouldn't be tracked in or the litter box isn't as fresh as it should be. At least once a month, I load up on air fresheners. The plug in kind, candles, sprays, etc. I have noticed that when I first use the air fresheners, I can smell the scent a lot. Most say they last at least 30 days. After a few hours though, I don't notice the scent as much....if at all. If I've been gone for awhile, sometimes I smell them again when I walk in....but not always. I'm kind of liking the automated sprayers that can be set at certain intervals. I can tell when they recently sprayed as I walk in a room.

Now that Spring is on the way I will be able to walk outside and get a breath of fresh air. It will be nice to be able to open the windows and feel the breeze and get the air moving around and in and out of here.

While thinking of Spring and breathing fresh air, it led me to rhyme air with prayer. As much as I need a breath of fresh air....my life needs a refreshing by way of prayer.

Prayer has been on my mind a lot lately for many reasons.

Some for guilt because as our kids have been growing up, I wish I would have prayed more and better for them. We used to pray together at night before bed and on the way to school. When did we stop? Why did we stop?

Some for the needs of others as I am made aware of the issues on various online prayer boards or requests. On a good day, I'll stop for a moment and say a prayer right then as I read it. Even then though the prayer is usually a quick sentence prayer.

Some because I have a group that gets together to pray and sometimes it feels like a task instead of the joy it should be.

Even though I know prayer should be my first line of defense against the struggles and sometimes dark days, it is not always. Like the air fresheners.....sometimes my prayers seem a little stale and in need of refreshing.

So....the first paragraph again written as it applies to prayers:

We have too many needs and issues. Usually, at least once a day, somebody complains about something that I can't or shouldn't fix. Life doesn't seem as fun as it should be. At least once a day, I am reminded that I should load up on prayer and bring our thanks and needs before God. Oh, if only there were a way to plug in and remember to be God's light. I have noticed that when I first pray, I can feel God's presence a lot. I'd think the prayer would last until at least the end of the day. After a few hours though, I don't notice His presence as much and the issues of life can seem overwhelming. Even when I have not prayed for awhile, I feel I am welcomed right back into peace. I'd kind of like an automated reminder to pray at certain intervals. I can tell when I've prayed.....life seems more peaceful.....even when there is no reason it should be.

Genesis 2:7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

1 Thessalonians 5:12-24 
12 Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.
23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

Philippians 4:5-7
Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this....thank you!