Thursday, May 23, 2013

Just a little bit more......

I know that gas station "cappuccino" is probably far from the real thing, BUT it's on my way to work....and I have a refillable cup. So I stop sometimes before heading to work. Sometimes I run into people I know....and it is usually on days I didn't "plan" to stop....but I did....God appointments I think. :)  

Considering I never used to like hot drinks....cappuccino (I have to keep copying and pasting that word) is probably the closest I will ever come to coffee (yuck!). Unlike coffee which is in pots, cappuccino comes out of a machine. A machine that states to stop about 3/4 of the way full because the drink keeps flowing for a bit after the button is let go. I don't know about other people, but I like to mix flavors. So I push the button(s) to come up with the tastiest concoction. The last flavor I choose is the one I need to be careful to not overflow my cup. I press the button, I let go, I let the warm beverage flow a bit....and push the button again....just a little bit more....trying to get my moneys worth! I don't recall too many occasions where this has been a bad thing, but I don't understand the need to push it for just a little bit more.

I don't think it is just at cappuccino (last time, I promise) machines that we try to push the limit of what our cups can hold. It seems so often that I find myself saying, "When I just get a little bit more ____________, I'll _______ (fill in the blanks...I'm guessing you've done it at least once or twice too!) Depending on what is overflowing, filling our cups, being busy, etc. can be a good thing. However, sometimes I think we just need to get to the point of being content getting near the top. Satisfied and content are good feelings that we need to get used to in a world where we are constantly shown we should have more.

Philippians 4:11-12 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

1 Timothy 6:6-7  But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.

No comments: