Monday, January 06, 2014

Faith in Science?!?!?!

I will begin by stating that I may come across as sounding like a complete idiot in this post. I am stating my opinion and thoughts that have invaded my head over the last few days. I may or may not change YOUR mind....and that's OK too. 

I readily admit that I do not remember much about Biology and Science classes other than some small bits about anatomy and raising money for food for the Oscar fish in jr. high. Our son is visiting and we have been watching the Science Channel. Some very interesting and, often, curious observations. We watch and observe from opposite ends of the spectrum....or so it seems. I watch from a standpoint of there being Someone bigger than us and giving us purpose and that life seems TOO amazing to just be random. Faith first, science second. He watches from a standpoint of explanations and scientific terminology: words like evolution, building blocks of life, etc.

One episode we watched discussed theoretical physics and particle accelerators. I do not even pretend to understand what or how or why these things exist. It was over my head within the first 5-10 minutes. After that, I was shaking my head and saying "hmmmm" a lot. Mainly because the particle accelerator being discussed is 17 miles long and there were numerous people working toward breaking what seemed to be the smallest particle into even smaller particles. If you're interested in further info:  (Images of particle accelerator)

An example of nesting dolls was presented. Each doll opened to a smaller doll, which opened a smaller doll, etc. until it was almost microscopic. I understand the fascination. I find it interesting though that we need these big machines and numerous interested parties to work on something that is already there and functioning (overall) rather well.

Sometimes these shows seem to bring up questions....without the answers. Maybe we don't know the answer yet. Maybe we will never find an answer. Maybe it is all just to start a discussion.

People/scientists try to convince us about "intelligent life" on other planets. I don't understand how people can want aliens, but will not explore more about God....or a creator. Maybe it is TOO logical? Maybe there will always be just one more question in science that will be unable to be answered without a touch of faith.

Psalm 8:3-4 When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?

No comments: