Saturday, July 19, 2014

Start the day with S.I.P.


Let me clarify. By S.I.P., I do not mean hauling out some booze to help start the day. However, there are days when it does seem like that would be a valid way to work out some issues.

I was thinking of this recently. The days that I do not just jump right out of bed to start dealing with the day? My day goes better. If I take just 5 - 10 minutes to ease my way into the day? I'm guessing it doesn't change the things that will happen during the day, but it does help me in dealing with it.

I was kind of doing each thing individually. Not really naming it or anything, but those little phrases that remind you of other things make it easier to remember. (Lesson for the day, who knew? I thought it started with a "p":
mnemonic - something intended to assist the memory, as a verse or formula.)

SO: *S - Stretch *I - Inspiration *P - Pray

Stretch - Technically, you don't even have to get out of bed. Just stay there for a few minutes. Reaching up and out. Pulling your legs toward your chest. Whatever feels good. Think about it. Once we get up and on the move those muscles remain cramped especially if you do not have a physical job. We jump into our cars, hunch over the steering wheel to rush into an office where we sit in a chair probably on a computer for way too long. Trying to remember good posture.

Inspiration  - Can be combined with stretch if you pick music or listening to a devotional, etc. My phone has some music selections that I find inspirational. This has been one of my nicest things to do with my "smart" phone. I can download a short devotional or song and play it back whenever. Some of them have become my ring tone and bring me some peace during the day.

Pray -  Something else that can be done while doing something else. However, finding SOME focused time during the day when you can do more than just sentence prayers can really help put things in perspective. If you drive to work, try leaving the radio off. At first, it seems kind of awkward. When you get really into it, you might start talking out loud to God just like you would to a good friend. It may look odd to passersby, but face it there are worse things you could get caught doing in your car! ;)

I think my biggest insight into all of this though is it takes being intentional. I know all these things in my head. Exercise even a bit is better than not doing any. Finding some inspiration can be beneficial for me and for others to encourage them on their walk. Prayer can take care of a lot of the worries that don't ever happen. The "if" factor.

Life - Prepare by taking a S.I.P. than diving in!

Psalm 3:4-6 (MSG)
3-4 But you, God, shield me on all sides;
You ground my feet, you lift my head high;
With all my might I shout up to God,
His answers thunder from the holy mountain.
5-6 I stretch myself out. I sleep.
Then I’m up again—rested, tall and steady,
Fearless before the enemy mobs
Coming at me from all sides.
 
2 Timothy 3:16 (MSG)
There's nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.
 
2 Timothy 2:22 (MSG)
22-26 Run away from infantile indulgence. Run after mature righteousness—faith, love, peace—joining those who are in honest and serious prayer before God. Refuse to get involved in inane discussions; they always end up in fights. God’s servant must not be argumentative, but a gentle listener and a teacher who keeps cool, working firmly but patiently with those who refuse to obey. You never know how or when God might sober them up with a change of heart and a turning to the truth, enabling them to escape the Devil’s trap, where they are caught and held captive, forced to run his errands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great, Karen; good ideas! :-)
Hugs, Katherine