Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Tug of War - HOPE

Recently while I was having one of my thinking moments, I pictured tug of war. First, it was in regards to our son, I think. Sometimes it feels as if he has crossed a great divide. There is still a rope that connects us, but there is a large divide and there are days we seem to be standing on opposite sides.

The other word that keeps popping up in my head and in things I've read is: HOPE. Maybe we see what we need to see when God thinks we need to see it. Maybe we just become more aware.

On a grander scale than just our home, I am picturing God and me on one side of the rope. Facing the chasm and a world that seems to be slipping further into the dark. I am praying that God continues to use me, to use us, to pull people over to the side of light toward HOPE. Where we realize we don't have to do everything on our own. We don't have to be perfect or "normal". We just pull.

The more I think about it. Sometimes God tugs at our hearts. Not loudly. Just a little nudge to remind us to spend more time in prayer and reflection. With family and friends.  On a good day it is just a little tug, a reminder. On the other days, I think God will do what He needs to do until He gets our attention!

Romans 5:4 (MSG)
There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit! 
 
Lamentations 3:25-27 (MSG)
25-27 God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits,
    to the woman who diligently seeks.
It’s a good thing to quietly hope,
    quietly hope for help from God.
It’s a good thing when you’re young
    to stick it out through the hard times.
 
1 Peter 3:15 (NIV) Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

No comments: