Monday, November 10, 2008

Missed opportunity?

2 Corinthians 5:11-13 (NLT)
We Are God’s Ambassadors
11 Because we understand our fearful responsibility to the Lord, we work hard to persuade others. God knows we are sincere, and I hope you know this, too. 12 Are we commending ourselves to you again? No, we are giving you a reason to be proud of us, so you can answer those who brag about having a spectacular ministry rather than having a sincere heart. 13 If it seems we are crazy, it is to bring glory to God. And if we are in our right minds, it is for your benefit.

Recently, I was in a dollar store. Through talking to the clerk, she mentioned her husband had died 3 weeks ago while waiting for a liver transplant. I have a friend that received a transplant. I know how hard that wait is. I expressed my sympathy, we finished the transaction and our conversation and I walked out. As I got in the car, I got the feeling/almost a small voice saying I should go back in and give her a hug. ???? That would not be something I would normally do to a stranger.....OK, maybe every once in awhile as the Spirit leads. Unfortunately, I argued myself out of it and didn't do it. I've thought about it for the past few days. The more I think about it, I know it wasn't me talking to myself. I didn't listen. What if God wanted to use me to let her know she's not alone? Missed opportunity!

Tonight, I started reading a book I "happened" to pick up at the library over a week ago. It's called God Speaks To Me....Stories of Triumph Over Tragedy from Women Who Listened to God. The first main point "Sacred Lesson" of the first story? "Your Intution Is Really God Sending You a Private Message"

And I thought I was good at deciphering the small voice as not my own. As the above story shows, sometimes inconvenience and discomfort get in the way. Sometimes I have heard words repeated in my head that did not stop until I said them, then it seemed more obvious it was God. Sometimes, apparently, we get one chance.

I wrote this over the summer. Ties right in.....even when/if we don't listen, it doesn't mean God stops trying to get our attention!

Still Small Voice

We know that God does not often shout
so why do we try so hard to drown His voice out?

We turn up the music, and the TV, invite over friends,
rarely content to be by ourselves.

But if we never make time for quiet, how can we expect to hear?
The still small voice of God telling us He’s here.

He tells us that He knows us:
the us we hide from the world
the us we WANT to be.
The way that He made us
to sit and talk with Him.

If we don’t take time and turn off the noise,
The still small voice remains….still.

KL

If you are given the opportunity to carry out a mission, take God up on it. Who knows where it might lead and who it might bless!

No comments: