Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wounded, but Healed

Just wrote this for the devotional website http://daily.presbycan.ca/ , but thought I'd share here too...especially since it's been a little while since writing last. I was thinking about Good Friday and Easter and all that Jesus went through for us. Makes me realize I am not thankful enough!

Wounded, but Healed

Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (NIV)

Last year, I had surgery on my neck due to a disc pressing on my spinal cord. I was not looking forward to it for numerous reasons. I was scared of surgery. Not because I thought something would happen, just the fact of the unknown. How would I feel afterward? How long would it take to recover? I had things to do. This would be a crimp in MY plan(s).

I do not consider myself vain and did not really think about the wound or subsequent scar. I was told it would be on one of the lines of my neck and would not be that noticeable. Considering the work that needed to be done, it is a small scar that is healing and becoming less noticeable.

When I first took off my bandages, I was disappointed at how red it looked. It was more raised up then I thought it would be. For a long time, I would wear a small bandage over it. I was uncomfortable with the fact that people would notice and then I’d have to explain what had happened. As if the bandage wasn’t noticeable.

The Bible doesn’t mention a lot about scars. It mentions wounds quite a bit. I think of the wounds that Jesus suffered at the hands of his accusers. The whipping and beating that He took on our behalf. The long, painful walk He took bearing our cross. Hanging on the cross where he was wounded even more deeply. The scarlet blood that flowed from His wounds is blood that washed away our sins. The feeling of being forsaken. He was not concerned about His earthly body. He died once to bring healing and the chance of relationship to all.

Isaiah 53:4-5 4 Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins! 5 But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed. (NLT)

God, You know us better than we know ourselves. You know the wounds we have and have tried to hide. You know the wounds we may have inflicted on others. Thank you for your devotion to us through Jesus. Thank you for the freedom we can have through you. Thank you for the scars that can help us lead others to you. Amen

No comments: