Saturday, October 23, 2010

EneME

Enemy: one that is antagonistic to another; especially : one seeking to injure, overthrow, or confound an opponent (Merriam-Webster)

"We have met the enemy and he is us" Walt Kelly

I'm thinking lately of all the things and excuses that I have let stand in my way of getting to where I want to be....or better yet, where God wants me to be. The dictionary definition refers to being antagonistic to another. However, I am coming to the conclusion that sometimes I become overly disappointed with myself. I am my own worst enemy...hence the eneME.

Eventually (I would like to say that it is taking less and less time, but still a work in progress), I start to realize that I am not as content. My feelings start to rule, and I start to believe that it's easier to give up then continue to fight. It takes courage to face our discouragement.

I have definitely noticed though that what I focus on can be used against me. When I get too busy to take time for devotions or I listen too much to music that doesn't lift me up, I start feeling like I'm losing the battle. The enemy starts to win and gains ground. Thankfully, God loves me (and you) too much to leave us alone to fight this battle.

Psalm 31:8 (NIV) You have not handed me over to the enemy but have set my feet in a spacious place.

The battle for our mind is ongoing.  We need to remember and keep reminding ourselves that we already have an enemy pursuing us.  Resist and stand firm.  Realize that God helps us fight ALL enemies....even the one within ourselves.  

1 Peter 5:7-9 (NIV) 7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
 8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

No comments: