Sunday, April 03, 2011

Dinged Up and Firey Darts

AAAARRRRRWWWWW!  Ok, now that the screaming is out of the way.....it's an internal scream....it is late at night/early in the AM and I have sleeping family members I don't want to scare!

This thought has been on my mind a lot lately.  There is SO much going on in the world right now.  Maybe there has always been a lot going on, but with almost instant access to any and every possible newsworthy (and some NOT so newsworthy) event it seems there is always something happening somewhere.

In my own little world things stay busy.  I've been trying to do better at not filling all the squares on my calendar with something I have to or choose to do.  Some days/weeks are better than others.  I'm trying to get back to scheduling at least one day my "catch up" day so I don't start to feel so overwhelmed.  However, there's a saying that we plan, God laughs.

Frequently that happens, at least the planning part.  On the days I actually make it to do a list of what should get done that day, someone will end up sick and change the direction of the day.  Or I get a call from school.  Or, or, or.  You get the picture.  I recently talked to my husband that the more we try to get closer to God the more the devil tries to get in the way.

Sometimes though, I get so busy with the doing that God uses (even if it was intended for bad) whatever He can to get my attention.  About a month ago, it was a car accident. That thing where insurance says a lot of accidents happen within 10 miles from home, yeah.  I didn't even get all the way out of my driveway.  I was in a hurry.  Thought I'd get stuck at the end of my driveway.  Looked before the tree, but not after.  I'm still not really sure how it all worked out.  However, another driver's car was damaged.  My back end passenger side got dinged up pretty good.

A part of me wants to fix the worst part of the van, but leave some sort of reminder of the dinging up.  More than likely, the main reason I had any issue is that I was in a hurry.  The car is just a physical version of the dinging up I do to myself and have watched others do to themselves mentally and spiritually.


The Bible refers to the armor of God in Ephesians 6 (below).  Honestly, I feel like my armor is getting dinged up, especially my shield and my helmet.  However, the dings remind me of the reason I need the armor in  the first place.  Darts fly frequently and we live in a world with a lot going on.

The Armor of God
Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV) Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

No comments: