Monday, August 06, 2012

The Power of the Table

Ok, bit of a confession here....and for those who really know me I'm not spilling anything new. I am messy....especially with papers. For SO long with the rentals, we have had SO many papers. Add that on to dealing with depression on and off and the mess accumulates at a much faster pace than I can keep up with or sometimes even know where to start. By mere convenience of location, the table has been the landing point for most paper coming into the house. The table is flat and I know where stuff is at....well, at least what pile it may be in.

Unfortunately, the piles of paper and other stuff that doesn't belong there eventually take over most if not all of the table. This does not make it easy to eat AT the table. I know family dinners and time at the table/in the kitchen are important. Every once in awhile, I would think that I needed to get the table cleaned off. Then I would feel even more guilty for how long it has been that way....and still not take care of it.

Over the past couple of weeks, hubby and I have been working together (works MUCH better that way...but amazing how often we forget and work against each other) on getting things more organized and cleaned up. The table finally got cleaned off. Yes, there is still "stuff" to deal with....but it's not on the table. 

We ate and had a discussion that really helped both of us see where the other person was coming from. This may not seem like a big deal. It didn't really to me at first. Then I got to thinking how often or, sadly, how little we have communicated more than just in passing. We probably fixed more in half an hour than we have in weeks.

Sometimes it seems we as a society are getting so caught up in technology and keeping our kids busy that we have forgotten the importance of sitting down together and chatting face to face. Leaving the TV off and not answering the phone during table time shows that the people around us are more important than any possible distraction.

We also had communion at church today. I was reminded again of the importance of spending time with God   as well as my family. My parents did a very good job when we were little kids with having a devotion time after dinner. My grandma helped me recite Psalm 23 when I had lunch at her house. They knew the power of the table and shared it with me. 

Maybe a messy table isn't your problem. Maybe taking time to spend together with family isn't an issue. For me? I have some habits to break....and some new ones to start. 

Acts 2:42 (NLT) All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer.

1 comment:

jummyd57 said...

I love the image of coming to The Table for Communion, sharing the important things with God just like you did with your hubby. We as people if God need to remember that the invitation to The Table is always an open invitation. Come unto me, you wearied and worn-out and wiped out Amex weeping people. Find rest.