Monday, November 26, 2007

SPLURGE!

Ok, I'm sure this will end up sounding silly, but this has been on my mind lately. Many times I'll go above and beyond to give a gift to someone else. I like to find something that will mean a lot to them...or has meant a lot to me...and if it's on sale, even better! :)

However, when it comes time to buying something for myself, I will usually buy the plain and/or inexpensive. Examples off the top of my head would be perfume (even though it will last for quite awhile) and undergarments (also will usually last quite awhile!) wink! ;)

There was a woman at a mom conference one time that mentioned red underwear. She mentioned you'll feel more confident knowing your little secret. So, the last time I bought undies, I splurged. No, I didn't get red. BUT I had the plain whities in my hand when I spotted the silkier, lacier, more colorful, only 50cents to a dollar more for the same amount of pairs package. I knew it was meant to be when they even had my size.

Now, I would like to say that given the proper undie secret all my problems have moved on. Ha! No such luck. But the undies did start a small difference in me that I've been trying to keep going. My realization is that I should do no less for me than I am willing to do for someone else. Does that sound selfish? It's not meant to and it's even biblical.

Matthew 22: 36 - 39"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' (NIV)

When we have other people depending on us, "me" can get lost in the shuffle. Remember in order to love others, we have to love God 1st and "me" also. Find a way to splurge on yourself today and then be willing and more able to give to others!

No comments: