Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Be What God Sees - Self Worth

Psalm 139:13-16 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. (NIV)

There has been much talk about women and self-esteem/self-worth or lack thereof. We are so hard on ourselves! God has seen us at our best and at our worst and loves us the same through it all. My mind is flashing to people bowing down repeatedly saying, "We're not worthy, we're not worthy" BUT God says we are. We are valuable BECAUSE God made us in His image. In the verse above, it is stated "I know that full well". Time to tell our minds what our heart already knows.

Per www.webster.com
esteem: worth, value, opinion, judgment, the regard in which one is held
self-esteem: a confidence and satisfaction with oneself
self-worth: refers back to self esteem

I always used to think self-esteem seemed kind of self centered. It is not self centered to be confident and satisfied in who God made us to be and the talents He gives us to share with the world.

How much more valuable could we feel if we start to see ourselves as God sees us? Think of it as God glasses. We might see (and feel) like the compost heap. God sees through ALL that mess and sees the beautiful flower that is growing with the help of the compost pile. God sees the butterfly waiting to fly and soar, we see the caterpillar.

Time to change our way of thinking ladies (and gentlemen, but you usually don't hear guys talk about it as much). I'm thinking tee-shirts: Be What God Sees ;)

Be What God Sees
Karen L.
5-22-07

She looks in the mirror
And she doesn’t like what she sees
Eyes too wide, nose too flat,
Thinking she’s too fat.

Learning to look past the mirror
Is harder than it seems
She wants to be
All that she dreams

Time flies by
She keeps getting older
Finally, somebody told her

She can be what God sees

God looks past the mirror
And into the most important part
God looks into her heart

He sees all that He has put there
The beauty, the laughter, the song
She’s free to sing
When she sees what God sees
In her

No comments: