Sunday, December 02, 2007

Absence of Light Devotional

I wrote the following for a devotional website so I thought I'd share:

ABSENCE OF LIGHT
Isaiah 9:2 - The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. (NIV)

As my daughter and I wait for her bus in the morning before school, we often play with shadows. She tries to make her shadow look taller than mine. We step on each other's shadows. Our shadows do what we do. If we dance, our shadows dance.

A shadow is an area that is darkened because the light is blocked. It is the absence of light in the shape of the object blocking the light. Shadows can look big and overwhelming, depending on how close or far away the object is from the source of the light.

Job 12:22 - He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings deep shadows into the light. (NIV)

Our world today can seem dark and scary. The shadows of our problems can feel like they are ready to overtake us. Maybe darkness feels like it is trying to move into our life. We don't have to stay there.

Psalm 23:4 - Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (NIV)

There are many who still need to meet the source of our light. Will we be someone's shadow, or will we help project the light that they need to make it through that next tough step?

Prayer: God, thank You so much for being the light that keeps even our darkest days from overwhelming us. Please put people in our path who need Your light. Help us to project that light and chase away the lingering darkness. Amen.

No comments: