Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What would YOU ask for?

Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. (NIV)

At Christmas time, we think of giving and getting gifts. We may or may not get what we ask for. Sometimes it costs too much or we can't find the requested item. We may have a hard time asking for what we need. Maybe it's not a gift. Maybe we wish we could have a different quality about our personality or something that is not a "thing". It is not really something somebody can give us. Then what?

Seeking God is wise. It makes sense. How come it seems so easy to go our own way, but then we look back and realize if we would have made God part of the process the way would have been easier?

What if God himself asked you what you wanted? What an amazing thought! It could be ANYTHING! Would we be smart enough to ask for a virtue (a commendable quality or trait) and not a thing? David's son, Solomon, was asked that question....and he picked wisdom (ability to discern inner qualities and relationships/good sense)!

1 Kings 3: 5 That night the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream, and God said, “What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!” 6 Solomon replied, “You showed faithful love to your servant my father, David, because he was honest and true and faithful to you. And you have continued your faithful love to him today by giving him a son to sit on his throne. 7 “Now, O Lord my God, you have made me king instead of my father, David, but I am like a little child who doesn’t know his way around. 8 And here I am in the midst of your own chosen people, a nation so great and numerous they cannot be counted! 9 Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?”
10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for wisdom. 11 So God replied, “Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people with justice and have not asked for a long life or wealth or the death of your enemies—12 I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have! 13 And I will also give you what you did not ask for—riches and fame! No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life! 14 And if you follow me and obey my decrees and my commands as your father, David, did, I will give you a long life.”
15 Then Solomon woke up and realized it had been a dream. (NLT)


It may have been a dream, but Solomon did become known as the wisest man who ever lived. He governed with understanding and wrote many Proverbs that we still refer back to today. He got what he asked for and even more!

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (NIV)

What are the desires of your heart? God still offers us the ability to ask.

Ask, seek, knock....God, Thanks for opening the door and letting me ask for what I need. Today, my top need is _______.

No comments: