Thursday, December 06, 2007

Media....and what if......

I had some other thoughts I wanted to write about, but this seemed pretty timely.

As I'm writing, I'm listening on the news about ANOTHER shooting...this time at a mall. Makes me sad...and rather angry. It seems the more coverage these incidents receive the more people seem to think they'll be made famous after their death if they go out with a bang (no pun intended). The media neglects the fact that their response to these incidents is very important. Yes, we need to know, but focus more on the lives of the victims that have needlessly been taken and cut short and less focus on the shooter(s) and why they made the decision they did.

AND the "famous" people that are covered so much they can't even live their lives OR rest in peace...Brittney Spears, Paris Hilton, Tom Cruise and his family, Anna Nicole Smith, Elvis, etc. They get noticed for EVERY little everyday thing they do. It amazes me that people WANT to be famous. Why live life under a microscope?!?!? If we as a society spent as much time reading the Bible as we do watching the TV and reading news about stuff that in the whole eternity of things does not matter, what a change we might see! (I step off my soapbox)

SO, what if the media covered some of the more important news and what if there had been television back when Jesus was born? How much coverage would His birth have received? Some friends and I took this thought upon ourselves as a Christmas program for Sunday School one year. It actually turned out pretty good and I'm wishing I had a copy of it (come to think of it, I probably do somewhere as I keep WAY too much paper). SO, ponder on that for awhile and if I get a chance, I'll try and remember some of it as finding it (before Christmas) ain't gonna happen.....

No comments: