Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Listen Up!

Last night, I went to bed grumpy and early. Both kind of unusual. Did you ever get the feeling God wants you to figure something out? I have been focusing on how I want things to turn out in some situations we're dealing with. I think God's been trying to get my attention to remind me that He's got it covered.....but it may not be the answer or timeline I want or expect. I'm still working on surrender.

I read a devotional before I went to bed about "What's right with this picture?" instead of focusing on the negative. Example, the daughter got in a car accident. The "what's right": it wasn't her fault and she learned to be a more careful, watchful driver.

A favorite line from Apollo 13 movie is: "What do we have on the spacecraft that's good?" as everything is going wrong. I know I need to look for the positive and listen and watch for the good things going on.

This morning my radio alarm went off with a song by Third Day with the chorus: "There's a light at the end of this tunnel for you". Yeah, right I thought as I turned it off after a few seconds. My response used to be: yup, a train! Still grumpy....AND not a morning person....AND not listening.

Shortly after, I heard the song "Hold Me Jesus" by Rich Mullins. The version I heard had kids singing softly in the background during part of it "I surrender all, I surrender all". I found the following video of it. The words were right on for the way things have been going.


I started getting the hint that God wants it all.....the good, the bad and the ugly. I have an OK time overall with the good. I struggle with taking His word for it that he wants the messy too.

Many times I forget that I want God to make it obvious that it's Him working things out. I forget, He doesn't work that way usually.

1 Kings 19:11-13 (NLT)
11 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.

SURRENDER = to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand; to give (oneself) up into the power of another; AND MY personal favorite....implies a giving up after a struggle to retain or resist

I'm beginning to realize maybe it's not such a small voice after all once I start to tune in to WGOD and listen! ;)

No comments: