Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Getting in the Ring

Without trying to state the obvious....parenting is HARD WORK!!!!  On the day we found out we would have a baby or adopt a child into our family, did we ever dream that our sweet little ones would EVER be anything other than angels? We never dreamed that there would be a day that we did not love them.

Even now as they grow up more than likely we give them the benefit of the doubt....at least at first. On those challenging days (or as we used to refer to them "oops, sorry!" days), we still LOVE them. However, if we are really honest, we may not like them at that moment. They probably feel the same about us!

Sometimes there are days - especially with strong-willed kids that seems like everything, every....little....thing is a battle that they think needs to be fought and won. A very wise person once said "pick your battles".  Love and Logic teaches give a kid 2 choices that you can live with (ex. Do you want to wear or carry your coat?). Love and Logic is a great parenting tool....when I remember to use it! 

On the days I am not at my parenting best, I feel like a boxer getting in the ring. One of us is going down for the count. However, the more I think about it....our kids and us parents are on the same team. We want the same thing: for them to grow up responsible and safe. We may have different ways to get to the same thing. We think we are showing them we care. They think we are overprotective. Different fighters may get in the ring with us and need to be fought: drugs, alcohol, disrespect, bad decisions, etc.

As the world and time seem to move faster and things increasingly change through technology, it seems the "ring" is ever widening. The world is out to get kids hooked earlier and earlier through advertising and TV. If we want it, buy it...on credit....and get reward points. That it truly doesn't matter what you listen to or watch or spend your time and money on. That God may (or may not) exist. That we don't need to worry about eternity. If it feels good, do it.

Whatever is in your ring today, keep fighting the good fight. Ding, ding. Go to your corner. Refresh, renew, know that you are not fighting alone and kick whatever you both are fighting out of the ring. Our kids are worth the battle(s)!

Psalm 18:32-40 (NIV) It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You make your saving help my shield, and your right hand sustains me; your help has made me great. You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way. I pursued my enemies and overtook them; I did not turn back till they were destroyed. I crushed them so that they could not rise; they fell beneath my feet. You armed me with strength for battle; you humbled my adversaries before me. You made my enemies turn their backs in flight, and I destroyed my foes.

No comments: