Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Running on Empty

Frequently (even more so lately) THIS is what my gas gauge looks like. Some/most is due to the fluctuating (mostly UP) gas prices.  Some is just I haven't gotten around to making time to stop by the gas station. Either way, I am hedging my bets that I will have enough gas to get me where I need to go.

So the day I took this picture was one of those "I'll make it to the next gas station and then stop" kind of days. The thing is though I made it past numerous gas stations.....and didn't stop.  I'd pass one and then think, "I'm fine I'll just make it to the next one". All that time though I was worrying that I would run out of gas and take even more time than just stopping and getting some.

I think the fact that the speedometer is right next to the gas gauge is interesting.  It shows the van COULD go up to 100 miles/hr. However, if there is no gas in the tank, it doesn't matter how fast you COULD go. You will not be going anywhere.

Lately, I have felt like I'm not sure which end is up. Things stay busy and chaotic. This weekend we got a lot done, but we did much better at working together.  When one of us was starting to run down, the other would remind us of the goal. We avoided empty.....this time.

I am blessed to live in an area that has numerous churches in each town.  In some cases, probably more churches than gas stations. Similar to my gas gauge, there are days when I am closing in on the big E(mpty) yet I continue to keep pressing on seeing how far I can push it.  In the meantime, my time with God has dwindled. My Bible stays closed on a shelf. I stay home on Sunday instead of pulling into church - my refueling station.

We all have a choice to make. We can continue through life constantly on empty and never being sure when we will totally run out and worrying about it the whole time. OR we can make an effort to know when and where to refuel and make sure we avoid running on empty.

11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.  Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

No comments: